Draft Dodgers and Entrants Have Impacts
The initial lengthy lists of college basketball players that enter the NBA is usually whittled down to a more manageable size by the time the actual deadline hits. It’s crunch time, and the decisions of players have the ability to make or break their college teams for next year. Some notable players have entered the draft, and some head-scratchers are present as well. With very little in terms of recruitable prospects are available to fill the holes generated by draft decisions, and there’s little doubt that some college programs held their breath, figuratively, as they awaited the decisions of their players. Hoopniks will have a breakdown of the draft decisions and possible replacement players for the entrants in the coming days.
- Robert Goff was expected to help rebuild the post at Oklahoma, as he signed in the early period. He was recently released from his letter of intent, and has ended committing to Marshall. The big man will be patrolling the paint in the Conference USA the next two years.
- Illinois‘ recruiting class swelled to seven members, with the addition of Ibrahima Djimde of Huntington Prep (WV). Djimde is the owner of an outstanding nickname, being called the “Mali Masher”. On a more serious note, adding a big guy with potential at this stage in the game is a nice grab. He could end up as a physical enforcer in the Big Ten.
- Towson continues to build under new head coach Pat Skerry. They landed Kelvin Amayo, a 6′-5″ guard that could be a stellar player sooner than later.
- 6′-4″ shooting guard Kevin Ware garners another mention in the weekly recruiting beat. After severing ties with Central Florida, Ware is on track to visit Georgia and Louisville, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Union Grove (GA) point guard Charles Mann, a 2012 prospect, continues to rack up offers. Mann recently drew a tender from Connecticut, Georgia and Florida State to go with others also on his plate.
- Highly-touted 2012 point guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, a former Xavier commit, is the latest prep star to head to Oak Hill Academy (VA), according to the Indianapolis Star.
Grassroots Tournament Champions
- Spiece Run N Slam: All Iowa Attack (IA)
- Wallace Prather Memorial: Georgia Stars (GA)
- Howard Pulley Invitational: Texas PRO (TX)
- Southern JamFest: East Coast Fusion (VA)
- California Hall of Fame Classic: Compton Magic (CA)
- String Music Showcase: KYA All-Stars (KY)
Please vote in the new poll on the site, a question that asks who the top 2013 prospect is.
Video of the Week--------------------------------------------
For those fans that wish college basketball was a year-round sport, the College Basketball Newcomers Guide paperback and Kindle book previews the incoming recruits for every team nationally. There’s no need to wait until Fall to learn about the new names in college basketball that will be starring on the hardwood.