Two weeks after trimming his list to eleven high-major programs, 6′-8 forward Kris Wilkes (the No. 17 prospect nationally) of North Central (IN) chopped his list even further on Sunday night.
Now, only Indiana, Illinois, UCLA, Connecticut and Xavier are the schools left in the mix for Wilkes.
A star forward for the UA Indy Hoosiers program, Wilkes’ long-time running mate on the grassroots circuit, Paul Scruggs, has four common finalists with Wilkes, swapping Michigan State for UCLA.
News and Notes
- After the summer live period, it’s always a good time to refresh the team recruiting class rankings and see which programs have gotten off to a good start in the recruiting cycle. Washington, Auburn and UCLA lead the way in our Top 10 classes for ’17 to date.
- After cutting his list to seven programs, North Carolina point guard Lavar Batts has just two programs remaining in the hunt for his services. Batts will pick between VCU and Clemson for his college basketball career.
- An early commitment is in order for 2018 point guard Jordan McCabe. He announced on Sunday that he’ll commit Monday afternoon. McCabe has two in-state programs, Green Bay and Milwaukee, on his list along with Missouri, Minnesota, DePaul and West Virginia.
- Peabody (LA) guard Cedric Russell, a one-time pledge to LSU, announced a top ten list. The Tigers are on it, along with Louisiana Tech and Louisiana, along with Houston, NC State, Texas Tech, VCU, SMU, Wyoming and Murray State.
- Power forward Jarrod Simmons of Cushing Academy (MA) cut his list to a top six programs on Sunday, including Boston College and Temple, along with Brown, Penn, Yale and Princeton. Simmons could be one of the top recruits to come into the Ivy League for 2017-2018 if he takes that route.
- Elite point guard Quade Green of Neumann-Goretti (PA) trimmed four programs off his college list from 13 to 9, keeping Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Xavier, Duke, Syracuse, Villanova, Temple and Louisville as finalists.
- The roster for the 2016 Elite 24 game, sponsored by Under Armour, has been announced. For the second straight year, the lack of Nike players is glaring in the group of players.
- UAB nabbed a point guard from Florida in Scootie Bryant, and UTEP landed Georgia guard Trey Wade. Bryant is set to hit Birmingham in 2017, while Wade is a 2016 recruit.
- Two top 100 prospects cut their lists in Alabma power forward Alex Reese and Virginia guard Matt Coleman.