6′-9″ power forward Nick Jacobs of South Atlanta (Atlanta, GA), made the call live on Court Cred today, making his pledge to Alabama, over Clemson, Georgia and Florida. Jacobs came in at #74 in the class of 2011 consensus player rankings, and gives Alabama a serviceable “4” in a class that already included top notch JUCO center Moussa Gueye, and in-state prep guards Rodney Cooper and Levi Randolph.
While Jacobs hails from the same high school as current New Jersey Nets rookie Derrick Favors, a comparison is not in order. Jacobs is a physical player at 255 pounds, but will need some time to develop. He will provide a big body inside, which has clearly been an area that coach Anthony Grant has been emphasizing. Jacobs is a good score for the Crimson Tide, and an addition which should solidly place Alabama in the top 25 recruiting classes in the land.
The 2012 class has not had more than a handful of point guards emerge as prominent on the national scene. That fact makes yesterday’s commitment of 6′-3″ 2012 lead guard Ryan Arcidiacono of Neshaminy (Langhorne, PA) to Villanova all the more important. Arcidiacono had an excellent spring and summer circuit for the PA Playaz prior to become Villanova’s first commitment in the 2012 class. He’s also ranked at #37 nationally in our class of 2012 consensus rankings, and is the #6 ranked point guard in the class.
Other commits from the recruiting beat:
- Perhaps the largest player in the class of 2011 is T. Jordan Omogbehin, at 7′-3″, 295 pounds. He’s been at several different high schools but is now at Atlantic Shores Christian (Chesapeake, VA). Omogbehin, a native of Nigeria that played on the grassroots circuit for Team Takeover, pledged to South Florida yesterday.
- The backcourt at La Verne Lutheran (La Verne, CA) is officialy D-1 bound. Last week, CJ Cooper made his pledge to UTEP, and in recent days Loyola Marymount grabbed a verbal commitment from 6′-1″ shooting guard Bruce English.
- Shortly after teammates Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello made their commitments to Baylor, Ike Nwamu, a 6′-2″ shooting guard at Westchester Country Day (High Point, NC) popped for Cleveland State.
- Harvard took their fifth commitment in the class of 2011, in 6′-7″ power forward Steve Moundou-Missi of Montverde Academy (Montverde, FL). Harvard has a stellar 2011 recruiting class to date.
- Norcross (Norcross, GA) had another 2011 player commit in 6′-8″ power forward Alonzo Nelson-Ododa, who committed to Richmond.