The McDonald’s All American Games unveiled the official rosters for the 36th Annual McDonald’s All American Boys Game and 12th Annual Girls Game during Thursday’s Selection Show on ESPNU. The annual high school all-star event will again be played at Chicago’s United Center on April 3.
The 2013 McDonald’s All American Boys Team will feature top ranked prep talent and Canadian-born Andrew Wiggins (Huntington Prep, W.Va.) playing alongside hometown hero Jabari Parker (Simeon Career Academy – Chicago, Ill.). Aaron and Andrew Harrison (William B. Travis – Richmond, Texas) mark the first set of twins since 2009 – the most recent pairs include David and Travis Wear (2009) and Brook and Robin Lopez (2006). The Harrison twins, who will be playing for the Kentucky Wildcats in the fall, account for two of the McDonald’s All American Games record five boys recruits that will be attending the same university, including Dakari Johnson (Montverde Academy – Montverde, Fla.), Marcus Lee (Deer Valley High – Antioch, Calif.) and James Young (Rochester High – Rochester, Mich.). The previous record of four was held by the Michigan Wolverines (1991), Duke Blue Devils (1999) and Kentucky (2011). The Boys Game begins at 8:30 p.m. CT April 3, and will broadcast live on ESPN.
Freddy Johnson of Greensboro Day School in Greensboro, N.C. will coach the Boys East team, while Mike Flaherty of Chicago’s Mt. Carmel High School will lead the Boys West team.
“It’s becoming a tradition for the top high school basketball stars to gather in Chicago for the McDonald’s All American Games,” said Douglas Freeland, director of the McDonald’s All American Games. “These players are the ‘heirs apparent’ to the basketball royalty throne, and we look forward to hosting them in the Windy City for this can’t miss event.”
This year’s teams were selected from the field of more than 800 Nominees by the McDonald’s All American Games Selection Committee, led by committee chairman, Morgan Wootten, legendary Hall-of-Fame basketball coach.
Since 1978, more than 1,100 players have competed in the McDonald’s All American Games, forming an elite list of some of the top names in basketball history, including Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Derrick Rose, Sylvia Fowles, Candace Parker and Maya Moore.
Tickets to the 2013 McDonald’s All American Games are available now through Ticketmaster or charge-by-phone at 1-866-909-GAME. Tickets start at $10 and include free parking. Net proceeds from the Games will benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities® (RMHC®). The Games have raised more than $10 million for RMHC since 1978.
The POWERADE® Jam Fest — featuring many of the McDonald’s All Americans in a skills competition, three-point shootout and dunk contest — will be held at the Gerald Ratner Athletic Center on the campus of the University of Chicago on April 1. The qualifying competitions will begin at 6:30 p.m. CT and the finals will air live at 8:00 p.m. CT on ESPNU.
NAME HT POS HIGH SCHOOL COLLEGE
- Barber, Anthony 6’2” PG Hampton N.C. State
- Hill, Kasey 6’1” PG Montverde Academy Florida
- Jackson, Demetrius 6’1” PG Marian High Notre Dame
- Selden, Wayne 6’5” G Tilton School Kansas
- Frazier, Keith 6’5” G Justin F. Kimball Undeclared
- Jefferson, Rondae 6’7” G/F Chester High Arizona
- Hicks, Isaiah 6’8” F J.F. Webb North Carolina
- Vonleh, Noah 6’8” F New Hampton Indiana
- Wiggins, Andrew 6’8” F Huntington Prep Undeclared
- Walker, Chris 6’9” C/F Holmes County Florida
- Meeks, Kennedy 6’9” C West Charlotte North Carolina
- Johnson, Dakari 6’10 C Montverde Academy Kentucky
Head Coach: Freddy Johnson, Greensboro Day School, NC (Greensboro, NC)
Asst. Coach: Steve Shelton, Greensboro Day School, NC (Greensboro, NC)
Asst. Coach: Jeff Smith, Greensboro Day School, NC (Greensboro, NC)
NAME HT POS HIGH SCHOOL COLLEGE
- Harrison, Andrew 6’5” PG William B. Tavis Kentucky
- Williams-Goss, Nigel 6’3” PG Findlay Prep Washington
- Hamilton, Isaac 6’5” PG St. John Bosco UTEP
- Harrison, Aaron 6’5” G William B. Tavis Kentucky
- Jones, Matt 6’4” G DeSoto High Duke
- Bird, Jabari 6’6” G/F Salesian High California
- Gordon, Aaron 6’8” F Archbishop Mitty Undeclared
- Martin, Jarrell 6’8” F Madison Prep LSU
- Parker, Jabari 6’8” F Simeon Career Academy Duke
- Young, James 6’7” C/F Rochester High Kentucky
- Portis, Bobby 6’9” C Hall High Arkansas
- Lee, Marcus 6’9” C Deer Valley High Kentucky
Head Coach: Mike Flaherty, Mt. Carmel High School, IL (Chicago, IL)
Asst. Coach: Jasper Williams, Bloom High School, IL (Olympia Fields, IL)
Asst. Coach: Brian Flaherty, Bremen High School, IL (Chicago, IL)
For those fans that wish college basketball was a year-round sport, the College Basketball Newcomers Guide paperback and Kindle book previews the incoming recruits for every team nationally. There’s no need to wait until Fall to learn about the new names in college basketball that will be starring on the hardwood.